We know the struggle. You work hard. You eat well. Everything is done EXACTLY as you should yet, despite your best efforts, fat just doesn’t seem to budge off your legs.
Its frustrating, demotivating and lets be honest, a pain in the butt.
Luckily for you, we have been quietly toiling away working with clients day in and day out who have been struggling with the same issues. After many hours of research and work in the trenches, we are proud to present the DC Health Performance Lower Body Fat Loss Solution.
This guide which is the result of wanting our clients to get the best results will definitely help you. Check it out and let us know how you go!
1. Reduce Your Estrogen Load
We are literally swimming in a sea of estrogenic chemicals. Our hair products, our cleaners, our toiletries, our food storage and more are all contributing to this toxic load.
The problem with this is this creates high amounts of exogenous (outside the body) estrogenic like chemicals inside our bodies that we then need to detoxify, break down and eliminate. Not only does this put a huge stress and amount of work on our liver but it will also disrupt our hormonal environment.
An example of one of these compounds are Phthalates which are found in plastics and used in many personal care products such as shampoo and lotion. These contribute to excessive estrogen in the body and need to be eliminated as quickly and safely as possibleto minimse their affect on the body.
Action steps to reduce exposure :
- Go to the website EWG.org and enter in your personal care products into the database to see how toxic they are. Replace them with less harmful products
- Stop heating your food in plastic. This can cause chemicals such as BPA (a hormone disruptor) to leach into your food.
- Use natural cleaning products. These are generally safe and just as effective.
2. Make Sure you methylate
One of the most frustrating things you can do is drive your car and not fully release the handbrake. You feel a lag in the car but don’t know why the drive feels sluggish. Once you identify the problem, you pick up speed again and everything is right in the world.
This is the same thing that happens to our bodies if we don’t methylate. Methylation is a process that every cell in the body goes through and it is essential for optimal health. In our discussion, methylation is important because it breaks down estrogen in the liver. This is needed for lower body fat loss because any excess estrogen or lack of estrogen breakdown will grind process to a halt. A full explanation of the methylation process is beyond the scope of this article (in fact, it would have to be a book!) but here are some simple tips to optimise your methylation. Please also consult with a GP with a background in Functional Medicine if you do have a methylation problem.
Action steps for methylation :
- Go to your Dr and ask for A MTHFR gene test. This is the best way to see if you have a problem methylating.
- Increase your consumption of green vegetables particularly broccoli.
- Consume legumes and foods that contain folate. These contain folates which help you methylate
Again, if the gene test shows you do have a Methylation problem and you are experiencing some health conditions, please consult with a GP with a Functional Medicine background. It will be worth it!
3. Boost Your Bacteria
Did you know we are only 10% human? We have 10x more bacteria than we actually have human cells!
Apart from that crazy fact, keeping our insides healthy is one of the biggest priorities when it comes to lower body fat loss. Our good bacteria allow us to have proper elimination which is the best way to eliminate nasty excess estrogens. here are three tips to boost your good bacteria and drop some bodyfat!
Action steps to boost your bacteria :
- Take a good probiotic supplement. This should be a staple for most people.
- Eat fermented foods such as sauerkraut and apple cider vinegar. These contain many beneficial bacteria that will help gut health.
- Eat foods rich in pre-biotics (foods that feed good bacteria). These include bananas and aromatic vegetables such as onion, leeks and celery.
Having a good mineral balance will help keep your body healthy and everything functioning optimally. This will help everything else run smoothly.
Here are the three most important minerals to make sure your body runs well.
Action steps for Maintaining Your Minerals:
- Magnesium: This mineral is involved in over 300 biochemical reactions. Taking it at night can also improve your sleep.
- Zinc: This mineral can help with using estrogen and progresterone effectively.
- This is especially important for bone health and has a beneficial effect on metabolic rate.
5. Master your Metabolism
Keeping your metabolism humming along at a high level is the key to healthy and consistent fat loss. The absolute best way to do this is to make sure you keep your diet in check and don’t put it under stress for extremely long periods of time. Here are a few tips to master your metabolism for the long term.
Action steps for mastering your metabolism:
- Don’t under eat for long periods. Calorie restriction is needed for fat loss, but going too far will cause many problems. Check this article out to identify your unique calorie needs.
- If you have been dieting for a long period of time, take a diet break. This means 2 weeks of eating at a maintenance level. This will allow your hormones to reset (particularly your Thyroid) and will lead to accelerated fat loss when you get back on a diet.
- Have realistic expectations of how much fat you can lose. This article goes into detail with that.
6. Mindset Mastery
Keeping a clear focus and purpose on a goal that is important and meaningful to you is one of the most important things you can do to lose fat off the lower body. This will keep you going when process is slow and times are tough.
Our best information for this concept is in this article. Please read this one in detail if you need help staying focused and accountable.
7. Train Hard!
All of the above information is worthless unless you train hard and heavy when you hit the gym. Your workout should be tough, focused and results producing. Here are the three most basic (and most important!) training tips we have.
Action steps for training hard:
- Perform big exercises. Squats, deadlifts, lunges, bench press and chin ups should make up the bulk of your training program.
- Train minimum 4x per week. This is ideal frequency for the best results.
- Follow your program to the best of your ability: Follow tempo, rest periods and any other variable so you can track your results.
Please implement all you have read above and see what it does for you. If there is anything you are struggling with let us know.
We are here to help!