Welcome to our Monday Mobility Series. Each Monday we will be teaching you a new mobility exercise to ensure your movement quality improves each and every week. This week we will be focusing on the Jefferson Curl.
This exercise is one of the best mobility and prehab exercises we know. Some benefits include:
– Lengthening of the hamstrings and the spinal muscles
– Strengthening of the connective tissue between the vertebrae
– Increased control of spinal mobility
– Improved back health under load
Here is a video outlining the right way to do the exercise.[video_player type=”youtube” width=”560″ height=”315″ align=”center” margin_top=”0″ margin_bottom=”20″]aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cueW91dHViZS5jb20vd2F0Y2g/dj1oZk5OUTQ0cEVCdw==[/video_player]
Here are some tips to remember:
1. Roll down one vertebrae at a time like a string of pearls.
2. Progress load slowly. Some have suggested every 12 weeks
3. Lock the knees
A great performance goal for this is 50% of bodyweight for 5 reps. If you are really into gymnastics strength training you can work upto bodyweight on the bar for 5 reps. We recommend 3-5 sets of 5 reps at the beginning or end of your workout, 2-3 times per week for optimal results.
If you have any questions let us know. Have fun training!