Call Us Today! 02 8065 5460

The DCHP Approach To Flexible Dieting

How many times have you heard that in order to achieve your health and physique goals you need to eat “clean”? That eating “Paleo”, avoiding processed foods and any junk food will automatically derail all your hard earned work?

And how many times have you struggled to stick to this advice on the weekend, pushing and pushing until you get to the weekend and finally break? Binging and gorging on piles of delicious junk food until we are sick and can’t take anymore before promising to ourselves that we will be eating clean again until the same thing happens all over again. Want to break the cycle? Read on.

The 80:20 Rule: The key thing to remember is we still want 80% of our nutrition plan to come from high quality and healthy foods. If we do this, we are on the right track. This leaves us with some wiggle room of 20%. Now with this 20% we want this to come from carbs and fats. We still need to hit consistent protein and veggie numbers and that gives this plan the flexibility to work.

We also need to know our numbers for each day. If we have 50 grams of carbs left over and 2 servings of fat, we can then work out some foods that fit into that. For example, this could be 2 Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Donuts or 2 scoops of ice cream. As you can see, these are fairly strict portion sizes so this is definitely not an excuse to go all out!

What are some of the advantages of this approach?

The main advantage to this approach is that we can still enjoy the foods we love in the context of a healthy diet that will help us lose fat. This can lead to far better dietary adherence over the course of the week and can certainly eliminate the desire on weekends to cheat for some people.

What are some of the disadvantages of this approach?

This approach can often lead some people to chronically overeat their favourite foods and indulge in some very creative calorie swapping to ensure they get all their cravings in. Some foods are so palatable that eating just enough is sometimes impossible and you will definitely overeat. This can lead to a very unhealthy relationship with food.

As you can see there are advantages and disadvantages to this method. This is where working with your DC Health Performance Coach can be of great benefit. Try it out and see what works for you!

 

Leave a Reply 0 comments

Leave a Reply: